Who doesn’t love a specially designed sugar cookie, am I right? It’s so fun to make your treats match your party theme, like these lemon slice sugar cookies for Tiny’s first birthday!
I’ve had a few friends ask me how to decorate cookies like this (Hi Tory!!!) So here’s a quick tutorial for ya!
What You’ll Need:
- Your favorite sugar cookies
- 3 ounces egg whites (about 2 1/2 eggs)
- dash of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- food coloring
Now here’s the process in pictures, step by step.
1. Make the Icing:
- Beat egg whites, vanilla, and salt until frothy. Then add powdered sugar and beat until stiff peaks form when the beaters are lifted out of the bowl.
- Mix in your preferred color or separate into separate bowls for separate colors. (keep covered so the icing does not harden).
2. Outline the area you’re doing in the first color.
3. Fill the outlined area with runny icing
(To make the icing runny to fill the cookie add water until you have a consistency that will pour smoothly)
4. Outline the next area in your second color with stiff icing.
5. Repeat step 3 by filling the next area with runny icing.
6. Once the icing has all hardened you can add smaller details, such as the eyes, pupils, nose and mouth in my cookie example.
Happy Cookie Making!